Homeowners, The Department of Buildings hosts a weekly information session just for you!
Meet with Department representatives every Tuesday night from 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm at each borough office.
During the weekly Homeowners and Residents Night, New Yorkers can obtain:
- Advice on home construction plans, including the permitting process;
- Information on how to check a contractor’s license status;
- Guidance on reducing energy costs by weatherizing residences; Instructions on how to resolve Department-issued violations;
- Recommendations on steps to take before purchasing a home or signing a lease;
- Direction on how to secure or amend a property’s Certificate of Occupancy;
- Permit guidelines for common home improvements, such as kitchen renovations and backyard shed installation; and
- Guidance on using the Buildings Information System (BIS) to search property history and permit information.
There is no need to make an advance appointment, simply visit your local borough office:
Brooklyn Borough Office
210 Joralemon Street, 8th Floor
Brooklyn, NY 11201